Friday, May 2, 2014

Will this person get me to Heaven?

This post is similar to a post from a couple weeks ago, but goes even deeper into my thoughts, and a recent experience that opened my eyes.
A few Sunday's ago I went to mass with a former teammate and afterwards they had vocational speakers.  I'm not sure why they had chosen this particular day for vocations, since it is not the week of vocations, but it was exactly what I needed.  As a college student, super far away from home, I sometimes lose sight of who I am and what is important to me.
One of the speakers, who carried the vocation of the single life, really caught my attention.  She spoke of considering the life of a nun, but when she tried it out, it did not speak to her.  She talked about how she knew God had a plan for her and that marriage would come one day, but her main focus should be helping people and focusing on her own life and her life with God.  It was amazing to listen to someone talk about her life expectations and what she wanted.  One of the students asked another vocational speaker, "how do you know who the person you will marry is?"  and the single woman had an answer, it was to think "will this person get me into heaven?"
This answer spoke to me on so many levels, religiously and not religiously.
The people that surround your life should be ones who make you feel happy to be who you are and make you a better person in everything you do.  It is not fair to yourself or the people around you if you are surround my negative influences and people who cannot keep you in check.  Everyday I think about what these vocational speakers said and I just remind myself that I have some of the most amazing people who surround me and I would not change it for the world.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment